Carpet Protectant Benefits
Unfortunately there is probably as much confusion in the carpet cleaning industry about carpet protectants as there is about cleaning. Uneducated, uninformed, and sometimes downright unscrupulous carpet cleaners cause a great deal of confusion by giving out false information or intentionally misrepresenting the product.
A nylon stain-resist carpet is made with two protective properties: The first is an acid dye blocker that is basically a clear dye that fills the extra dye sites in a fiber. This helps to keep “foreign” dyes (such as red dye in a beverage) from penetrating the carpet fiber. The second property is called a “fluorochemical”. It is commonly known as 3M Scotchgard or Maxim Advanced. This treatment helps keep spillage from actually getting to the acid dye blocker, but its biggest job is to resist dry soil.
By resisting dry soil, less soil bonds to the carpet, therefore the soil is easily removed with your vacuum or other cleaning methods. Making sure that you have a sufficient amount of protectant on your carpet will help keep the soil from bonding to the carpet. Once it bonds to the carpet, it acts like sandpaper on your traffic area. Once the traffic area yarns are broken down, there is no way to bring them back to their original state.
2 Ways That Factory Protectant Is Removed From A Carpet
1. Regular foot traffic. Over a period of 6 months to 2 years depending on the traffic, a significant amount of protectant can be removed from your traffic areas and needs to be reapplied.
2. High alkaline cleaner. Many cleaners use harsh chemicals on the carpet that will strip its factory protection. If you have had your carpet cleaned in the past, there is a good chance the cleaner removed a significant amount of protectant. It needs to be reapplied.
4 Mistakes Other Cleaners Make In Applying Protectant
5 Reasons You Should Always Get Carpet Protectant
1. Maxim Advanced buys you “Reaction Time.” Therefore, reducing the chance of spills becoming permanent stains. A great looking carpet can be ruined by an ugly spot. Unprotected carpet doesn’t repel spillage as well as protected carpet. Being able to remove spots and spills more effectively, you can avoid permanent staining.
2. Helps save your traffic areas from becoming destroyed.
Traffic area soil is very abrasive and cuts carpet yarns like a knife. This damaging soil can easily bond to an unprotected carpet. By applying protectant, you will increase the life of your carpet dramatically. When you vacuum your protected carpet the soils will release from the carpet pile much more effectively.
3. Makes spots easier to remove. The easier a spot is to remove, the less cleaner you will have to use. The more agitation you use, the less time it will take. Many spots can be removed easily with just water.
4. Makes your next professional cleaning more effective. Having protectant applied to your carpet will enhance your next cleaning. Also, more soil will be removed the next time your carpeting is professionally cleaned.
5. Helps avoid costly service calls. Although you want to call us out to handle any spot you cannot remove immediately, carpet protectant helps you remove more spots than you could without protectant. You may be able to save a minimum charge by removing the spot yourself.
Fabric Protection is Guaranteed to Work or Your Money Back!